Jack Off Jill

Seeing as Jack Off Jill is one of my favorite bands, it would be hard not to include them in a review of some sort. They were in existence from 1992-2000 with Jessicka Fodera as the lead singer. Now, Jessicka has another band named Scarling., which I will probably review sometime in the near future.

In high school, I guess I was kinda one of the kids that you would call 'emo' today. Please don't judge me! hehe. So, I first heard of Jack Off Jill when I was about 15, just after the release of their second and final album "Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers." The first album is called "Sexless Demons and Scars." This alludes somewhat to the dark content of the album, but what is excellent about the album is the way that Jessicka can sing almost lullingly and then suddenly start screaming. The songs have a childish innocence about them, even with titles like: Angels Fuck, Super Sadist, and Cumdumpster. Most notably is Angels Fuck, with some awesome piano in the background and Jessicka alternating from her soft voice to a serious scream. Her feelings show through so much in this song, especially when she says at the end when she says in a painful voice: " I will never make it better. It will always hurt, you fucking asshole!" It's a great song for anyone who has gone through a breakup, or just feels angry. Talk about powerful emotion.

Cumdumpster is a feminist outcry on the way women are treated by men. Example: C-c-c-c-call me cumdumpster
C-c-c-c-call me a cunt
C-c-c-call me clever Is that still ok

It's ok when a woman is a cunt, or bitch, but being clever..nah! It's just a great song pointing out the verbal everyday violence against women.

Just listen to the album and songs like Lollirot, Girlscout, Poor Impulse Control, Covet and American Made are all about our own human defects. And Devil With The Black Dress On is a perfect cruising song. It has an awesome beat, fun lyrics and it's great to speed to (yeah, I've done it -__-).

Their other album "Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers" was released in 2000 just before they disbanded. It starts with the track 'When I Am Queen,' which also has some awesome piano instrumentation. Again, Jessicka amazes me with her sweet/screaming voice. It's a song about self-destruction, rebirth and reclamation. Just listen! Two of my favorite JOJ songs are also on this album. They are 'Strawberry Gashes' and 'Vivica,' both are about saving someone from that which they cannot escape. Strawberry gashes is about a woman who cuts herself, and Vivica could possibly be about a woman who is abused by her significant other. You really have to listen to the songs because they have such powerful lyrics and awesome instrument-playing. Two other songs worth listening to first are 'Nazi Halo' and 'Author Unknown.' Both are indictments on someone or something. 'Nazi Halo' is Jessicka shouting out those who have hurt her, but it is a song I've listened to in the past when I've been really angry at someone. And 'Author Unkown' could be an indictment on religion or on anyone who tries to assert authority without the right. 'I met a man who was once on my side. He wrote a book and now everyone lies! NOOOOO!" So yeah, very powerful and awesome group, who unfortunately only released two studio albums, but there are remixes and hard-to-find EPs out there. I must go, but let me know if you liked the review.

If you would like to be able to hear some JOJ just throw me a line on here or email me at feministmovieblog@gmail.com

^__^

0 comments: